August 16, 2011

My Classroom is R-E-A-D-Y!

My classroom is ready to go!  Meet the Teacher is on Thursday and I'm ahead of the game... this never happens, so I'm very proud of myself.

Here's the final product...
This is the view from the door.  I have lots of wall space ready for anchor charts.

Here is my writing wall with the basics.  My writing anchor charts will go elsewhere.  The poster with the science border is for our science word of the week.  All the students in the school participate and the students who lead the announcements each day help the kids fill out the boxes.  
(#1 word, #2 definition, #3 picture, #4 word used in a sentence)

My computer and document camera station is pretty much my main working area. The multicolored drawers to the right hold all my copies for each subject for the week. Also, I'm pretty excited to have a file cabinet that locks this year. I finally have a place to store all my emergency chocolate.  :)

 This is the view from my teacher corner.  Another huge step this year is that I have all blue chairs albeit they are different shades of blue.  They are also all the same size.  Last year was a hodgepodge of seating...different colors, different sizes...it was a mess.

Here is my magnetic check-in board. It's so easy and the kids do it all. One student writes the lunch menu on the white board and they check in with hot, choice, or home.
Sorry the photo is blurry...I don't know what is up with my camera.

We call these beauties "elephants" because they are so large and kind of an eye sore.  We do get to paint the front though and they offer a lot of storage.  Kids backpacks go in the left one and the right one is teacher storage.  :)

Just call me a follower.  I am hopping on the clip chart bandwagon and I'm very excited about it! Thanks to Teach-A-Roo for her wonderful printables!

I just love this! It was a gift from a former student.

My teacher resource shelf and ALL my picture books that I use for reading & writing.  I'm such an addict!

This is an awesome idea from one of my teammates that I'm trying out this year.  Students have their own supply cups.  They store their markers, pencils, colored pencils, and scissors here...which means that all those things are NOT rolling around in their desks.  She uses the red Foldger's coffee cans, but I just ran to Dollar Tree and picked up 3 cups for $1.00.  I love that kids can now take their supplies anywhere in the room and work.  They just haul their cup.  I think this idea is going to work out great.

Here is a close up of my supply cup.  Isn't it cute?

So...that's pretty much it!  I think I am ready for Meet the Teacher Night on Thursday.  I can't wait to meet my new class and reconnect with the kids that are looping with me. 
It's going be a good year...I can just feel it!

Check out my other posts to see more of some of my interactive bulletin boards (Thanks Beth Newingham!) and classroom library. Classroom Update #1 and Classroom Update #2 (Yes, I know...not the most creative names I could have dreamed up.)

Also, don't forget to check out my linky party on Teacher Must Haves.  There have been some great submissions and I can't wait to see more! AND, the Expo Marker Giveaway ends Saturday, August 27th, so don't forget to comment on that post. 

I love reading your comments, so please leave reactions/questions/suggestions below.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Emergency chocolate! LOL I should have added that to my must-have list. I swear my chocolate stash got me through last year when I had a very tough group. I did supply cups one year. They kept falling over so I velcro-ed them to the desks! This year, they have a zippered bag for their scissors, glue, highlighters, and red pens. I picked up their pencils, markers, and crayons and store those for them. Still looking for the perfect way to handle supplies! Also, I had a major problem with different sized chairs last year. Everybody wanted the adult sized chairs and it was such a headache. This year, I took out ALL the adult sized chairs except the ones at my round table and desk! I can already tell, it's going to be a more peaceful year!

    Marisa
    iDream.iPlan.iTeach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marissa...I have heard that the cups fall over a lot the first couple of weeks, but that the kids get used to it. I'm hopeful that this is true, but if not...Velcro it is. Aren't the different sized chairs frustrating? I would have kids running to class in the morning to get a big chair. I'm so glad that it won't even be an issue this year...definitely more peaceful. ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking really good in the room. Nice colors on the walls. Overall, very organized and refreshing. :) - Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, Please email me at mrsjumpsclass@gmail.com Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I'm not the only teacher that stashes "Emergency Chocolate" around the room! I love reading your blog and looking at all of your pics. You have some wonderful ideas. Thanks for sharing! Have a fantastic year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts!