September 28, 2014

What's Your Point of View?

Want to know the very best part of working with a new team of teachers?  Learning from them! I can not take credit for any of the great ideas that follow because they were all planned for me by one of my awesome teammates.  So, big BIG shout out to Missy for writing such awesome and engaging reading plans to help our 4th graders understand 1st and 3rd person point of view.

We started the whole unit with this awesome Point of View RAP courtsey of Flocabulary. Be careful though...it will very likely get stuck in your head.  I was singing it for days.

After reading lots of excerpts from books, magazines, and more, we made these fantastic Point of View Posters to demonstrate our knowledge of 1st and 3rd person.

Check it out...

Students chose a picture from a magazine that had an interesting character and then wrote about the picture in 1st and 3rd person. 
I love this one because she mirrored the two perspectives perfectly.  They basically say the same thing, only the point of view is switched.  

 Students wrote 3-5 sentences for each point of view.

 Didn't they do a great job?

 I love this one because the writing says so much about the kid.  Staying positive!  LOL!

I have to admit, I would love to know the story behind this surfer and his eye patch.


I hope the pictures are enlarged enough that you can read what the kids wrote.  They really did a tremendous job and enjoyed every moment of it.  It was a great way to wrap up point of view and the lesson really stuck with the kids.  

How do you teach point of view?  I'd love to hear about your favorite resources and lessons.  Comment and share below. :)

Have a great week everyone!

4 comments:

  1. This is an awesome, awesome idea! Thanks to both you and Missy for sharing. Have a great week!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. L-O-V-E this activity! Pinned it for later use. =)

    Meg
    Third Grade in the First State

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great lesson activity! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just discovered your blog and spent the past hour reading through your posts! I'm moving from 1st to 4th this year (our school year starts at the end of January) and your posts have been very helpful. I particularly love your Fiction Friday posts - I look forward to linking up once I start to discover some gems for this grade level myself.

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts!