July 7, 2013

Favorites from the Year: Pumpkin Art Weave


Well, it is time for another installment of my Sunday Feature: Favorites from the Year.

This week I wanted to share a very simple project that my class completed in about thirty minutes because sometimes we have to squeeze an art project in and this worked out perfectly.

Pumpkin Art Weave

Materials:
  • construction paper
  • scissors
  • glue

One of the things I love about this project is that you can weave anything: apples, pumpkins, mittens, hearts, shamrocks, eggs, etc.  Seriously... the list is endless.  This year we did pumpkins.

 It is amazing that given the same supplies, each pumpkin turned out so different and unique.

Some kids got very creative with the stems. :)

 The final products made a really cute bulletin board.  

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good picture of the whole bulletin board because our halls are so narrow. Boo!

Here is a quick step by step guide of this quick and easy weaving project.  Fun for all ages!! :)

I recommend using most of the page to create your shape. The bigger the better in this case. This is an example of an apple.

I never use straight lines.  I always let my lines curve which leaves more room for artsy mistakes. Cut each slit about 1 inch apart.

Use whatever colors and pattern you want.


I suggest white glue.  Glue stick never holds as well.

Once everything is glued down, trimming the edges is easy. For my apple, I added a stem.  Add anything you want to make your project look complete.

My students really enjoyed this project and I think many of them finally understood what it meant to weave.  Experience is everything, right?

As I said, you can weave anything and they make a fabulous bulletin board.  If you have buddy classrooms at your school, this is a great project for the older kids to help the younger kids with.  Sometimes I think simple classic is too boring for 4th graders, that perhaps this would not be fun for them, but the truth is...they love it! I still use many K-2 projects with my 4th graders and they always turn out great!

 

So, that is my Favorite from the Year for today! I loved seeing all the projects people linked up last week.  Wow...I mean wow!  There were so many great ideas. Thank you to everyone who joined the party. :)

Remember, it doesn't have to be a seasonal activity.  We love seeing all your favorite projects and if you already blogged about it, feel free to repost and link up.  If you missed anything, be sure to click around below and don't forget to check out my post on Men of March for a fun, easy, St. Patrick's day drawing activity.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts!