As I curled up to go to bed last night I was exhausted. I realized I had traveled by car, plane, train, boat, and bus all in one day to arrive at my mother's house on Bainbridge Island. It had been a long trip and a long day.
I will be in Seattle (and surrounding areas) all week for a wedding and if yesterday was any indication of what to expect this week... it is going to be gorgeous! I'm so glad the sun came out just for me!
This is the picture I took of downtown Seattle while on the ferry to Bainbridge. Isn't it beautiful? I know it is gray and drizzly a lot up here, but a beautiful day in Seattle is hard to beat. Due to wedding and family festivities, I will be pretty much MIA this week, but please plan on Fiction Friday. I'm working on my second book of the week right now, and it's a good one. You won't want to miss it.
1) I HATE wooden utensils. They creep me out. I don't like how they feel in my hand and I refuse to wash them because when they get wet, they get slimy and...ugh! I just can't stand it. Really, the problem extends to all raw wood. Even popsicle sticks are a problem. I have to leave the wrapper around the bottom of the stick as a barrier while eating my popsicle. My teeth also can NOT touch the stick and most importantly, the teeth can NEVER EVER drag on the popsicle stick. Just thinking about it gives me the willies! Ugh!
2) I have always looked much younger than I actually am. When I was a freshman in college, I flew to Hawaii for spring break and I was sitting in the emergency exit row when a flight attendant came up to ask me how old I was. Apparently, you must be at least 14 to sit in the emergency exit row and she wasn't sure I was old enough! Ouch! Ten years later, I'm less offended that I look so young. My students still tell me I look like a teenager.
3) I worked as a barista for sixish years at Cruisin Coffee in Bellingham. Whenever I have a really tough day in teaching I always start contemplating going back to the coffee industry. I loved it! I worked there for a long time and I know all the secret recipes and some regular customer orders still. I'm not going to lie, I even still dream about it. It's my "good ole days." It has also made me VERY picky about my coffee.
5) All food must pass a texture test for me to eat it. I still won't eat mushrooms or tomatoes. Slimy and gross! There is NO WAY I could ever go on one of those challenge shows like The Amazing Race. I would crumble at the mere mention of strange food.
6) I listen to all kinds of music. I'm not even sure I have a favorite. My iTunes playlist has everything from Yo-Yo Ma and Van Morrison to Greenday, Eminem, and George Strait. I am very excited about the new Dave Matthews Band cd, scheduled to come out in September. Have you heard the single, Mercy? OMG...so good!!
7) I love TV. No, really, I LOVE TV. I'm a TV junkie. I had to create a spreadsheet this past fall to figure out how to get all my shows recorded. Surprisingly, I watch very little reality TV. I'm more of a sitcom fan. Oh, and I love corny. If I show you my DVR list, you promise not to judge? I had to write it all down so I could transfer to my new DVR. This is when it hit me that perhaps I have a problem.
8) I cuss. A lot. It's true. I use a few choice four letter words (especially the one that rhymes with duck) more than I probably should. But, I keep it clean in my classroom and on my blog.
9) Penguins make me really happy. For my birthday this year, my husband flew down my best friend to surprise me. BEST. SURPRISE. EVER. (Best husband ever too!)
Then they had scheduled a behind the scenes tour at Sea World with the penguins. I got to meet a penguin.
We became fast friends.
And, yes, I really walked out of Sea World carrying a giant stuffed penguin as a souvenir.
10) The last one you probably already know if you have been following for awhile. I adore my dog. I know other people love their pets, but I think I love mine more. What you may not know is that my dog has a first, middle and last name. I thought everyone did this, but I have since been informed that is NOT true and I'm a bit strange for doing it. So, his name is officially Riley Tristan Kendall. We choose a Welsh middle name since he is a Welsh corgi. The multiple names is quite handy, especially when he is in trouble. You can yell, "Riley Tristan! Get out of the trash!" and it works!!
So, that's a bit more about me. Hopefully, I haven't scared anyone away with my quirks. :)
Now, it's your turn (if you haven't already). Head on over to Mrs. Lemon's blog and link up. Tell me more, Tell me more...about YOU and please share if we have anything in common. Surly more people give their dogs middle names and loathe wooden utensils, right?!?
Till Friday my friends...