April 20, 2012

Comparing Texts with Jackie Robinson

April 15th is a magical day in Major League Baseball.  It is the day all players in MLB put on #42 in honor of Jackie Robinson.  Pretty cool, huh?



In my post the other day I shared a favorite baseball book, Teammates, and mentioned that I like to read this book aloud and then have my class read a non-fiction article on Jackie Robinson.  My favorite article comes form Toolkit Texts (Grades 4-5) from Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis.  There is also an additional article on the Negro Leagues. Click below to link directly to Amazon.com.  This book is a bit pricey, but worth it.
 My students partner read the non-fiction article and completed an I learned/I think T-chart.  Then, they worked in groups of 3-4 to complete a Venn Diagram comparing the two texts. 

Here are a few examples from my class:


As you can see, I love to incorporate baseball!
What other lessons have you seen around baseball or legendary sports heroes?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts!